Friday, October 1, 2010

Relentless Rain Again

A lot has happened since my last post. School has started and a typhoon has paid another visit. I wouldn't mind the rain so much if it didn't come at me from every direction, rendering my umbrella useless. A poncho would suit me much better,but people don't need any more reason to stare at me.

The UC students started class 3 days before school actually started. We had to attend this class called the foundation course, which is basically about contemporary issues in Japan, such as Japan's economy, foreign relation problems, and current issues in politics. The class continues throughout the semester. One of the perks of the class are the guest speakers. We also started our intensive Japanese classes, which are 4 days a week compared to the normal 1 day a week class. There are only 2 other students in my Japanese class, so I'm getting a lot of practice and I'm learning a lot!


Before school actually started, we wanted to do one last big event with the other UC students and Japanese buddies. We planned a clubbing event in Roppongi, which is a district in Tokyo similar to that of Rodeo Drive in Los Angeles. One of the Japanese buddies was hosting an event at a club called Lex (It might have been Rex...) But anyways, we had a great time hanging out and dancing. We also went to Akihabara, which is famous for its anime and videogame stores and also for its maid cafes. Also, we celebrated a birthday by going to a local karaoke bar. Of course I sang a song in Japanese.
Akihabara

At the karaoke bar
Walking through campus is quite an adventure in itself. Now I don't mean this in a conceited way, but I can feel everyone staring at me, and I'm not just talking one or two people. I even catch people in classrooms on the second and third floors staring at me through the large glass windows as I'm walking through the courtyard. (Mom and Dad, you're always saying how paranoid I am and how much I exaggerate, but you gotta take my word for this one) You would think they've never seen a tall white boy. The cafeteria is even worse. I don't like going in there because I feel like everyone is judging me, but a man's gotta eat.    p.s. I like how I'm complaining about getting attention.

The Saturday after school started, I joined an event in Asakusa hosted by a club called The Bridge. Asakusa is one of the most popular tourist sites in Japan. It was basically like a picture scavenger hunt. We got paired off into groups of 5, with at least one UC student in each group. The remaining students were from various colleges in the Tokyo area. The event was planned to bring together foreign exchange students with Japanese college students. In my group, they only spoke Japanese because they wanted to help me practice. I learned that it is too difficult to walk and speak Japanese at the same time. It just takes up too much concentration that I would normally use to avoid small people. It was a really fun, but pretty draining day.

Asakusa Shrine and Pagoda

My scavenger hunt group

The giant paper lantern.
The first full of week of class was really exciting. The classes are a mixture of Japanese and UC students, which makes the experience really interesting. One of my classes is Japanese Religion and Society. The teacher teaches in both Japanese and English and it's really interesting hearing the Japanese perspective from the Meigaku students. The class also involves some field trips to different shrines so I'm very excited for that aspect of the class. I am also taking Aid and Development and Contemporary Ethical Dilemmas. Oh, did I mention that I have no class on Mondays?

I just realized I forgot to talk about my experience at a baseball game. Now, I really don't care for baseball at all, but this was one of the most fun times I've had here in Japan. We went to a baseball game during our trip to Hiroshima, where we got to watch the Hiroshima Carps play. The Japanese fans are so energetic and we made friends with the crazy drunk guys behind us. I had a lot of fun participating in the cheers, which I will more than willing demonstrate when I get back to America.

Go Hiroshima Carps!

Tomorrow we are attending a cultural activity at the Mejiro garden, full of Ikebana, calligraphy, tea ceremony, kimono wearing (even the guys!!), and paper crafts. Needless to say, I am VERY much looking forward to all of those activities. Last side note, please be praying that I can find a church!

3 comments:

  1. looks so exciting! i cant wait to catch up tomorrow on skype

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin that is so fun. I am ridonkulously jealous of you right now. I hope youre having the best of times (and I think so from what I see here) and you MUST tell me about your clubbing event. I need to see this. lol I am happy you're getting tons of attention. Totally reminds me of that movie Lost in Translation (it takes place in Japan too). It also kinda reminds of Last Samurai. Do you like how I chose two movies where a white man goes to Japan? hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevy I hear mate...I was walking trying to talk Aussie and found myself boarding the wrong plane at the airport the other day. Best to leave the talking till after the walking :)

    Kev, I just read this out to Oma and Opa in Hospital. They loved hearing what you wrote. Oma says...she is having a very difficult time bit is getting stronger. Oma is praying for tonight - guidance down your path each day.

    Love from Oma and Opa.

    ReplyDelete