Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Typhoon so Soon!

I managed to make it back to the aiport and buy my ticket to Yokohama City Air Terminal which was about a 1 hour and 30 minute bus ride. Being the only white person at the station, I was an easy target for the other wandering students who were also studying abroad. A few of us managed to find each other and we started to get to know each other and explore the station, which also had a mall. Everything is so expensive here no wonder everyone is so skinny. However, the sushi is cheap and very tasty! We had 4 hours to kill at the station until our program director met up with us. All 25 of us hopped on a bus that took us to our dorm.

There are 4 floors here with no elevator so of course I'm on the 4th floor. With all the walking we do, I'm sure I need the extra exercise. Also, forgetful as I am, it is very fun to walk up and down the stairs to get something I need. We met our temporary Okaa-san (mother) and Otou-san (father). They are very loving people but don't speak any English. There is a kitchen and dining hall here that we are free to use. We also have to take our shoes off at the entrance (we have a shoe cubby) and put on slippers to walk around. Our rooms are very traditional Japanese style, with 6 tatami mats, a futon, desk, and closet.

After getting all moved in, we took a tour of the local supermarket. It is so big and has everything imaginable inside. It's not just a supermarket, it's like a mini mall equipped with its own 100 yen store, food places, and department store. Then, a group of us ventured out into the local neighborhood.

The next day, we walked to the local ward office to apply for our alien registration, which was super boring as they had to file 25 pieces of paperwork for each student. Oh, did I forget to mention the huge typhoon approaching Yokohama? Throughout the day, the rain was relentless, so it was safe to say we were all thoroughly soaked. Then we headed over to Totsuka Station for lunch and shopping. We visited a book store, but the only books I can read in Japanese are children's books. I was very excited to find The Giving Tree in Japanese, but I did not enjoy being showed up by a toddler reading his own book out loud next to me (he was adorable though in his little rainboots). We also got the most delicious ramen. Sorry in advance friends, but I just may spend all my money on food so I may not have any money left for souvenirs.

After venturing back in the pouring rain, we wanted to dry off and wait out the rain. It eventually stopped raining and we decided it would be fun to cook dinner together. We cooked a bunch of random stuff like Yakisoba and stir fried vegetables. We even set the table and had a family style dinner. Everyone was happy to pitch in and made the dinner amazing. After clean up, we played some intense games of mafia. I can't wait to teach everyone Nerts.

The typhoon is supposed to be here until Saturday so there will be intense rain and wind for a few days. It is also still really hot and muggy, but at least if we have to be soaking wet, at least we're not cold. Well, this post is super long so I will stop here. Oyasumi nasai (good night)!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Kevin. I'm so jealous, and so proud of you. All those years of hanging out with all the Koreans really paid off for you, didn't it? Can I make you a deal though? I'm going to be traveling a lot, so I'm wondering, if I get you something on one of my trips, will you bring me something from Japan? That would be so awesome!

    I miss talking to you. Love your updates. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kevin everything sounds amazing, well except for the torrential downpour haha Im so glad your having fun and all that jazz. Can't wait to read about more of your adventures! Between you and kelly I wont need to travel the world, ill just live vicariously through you haha

    ReplyDelete