Monday, September 6, 2010

Yookoso Japan!

I think an appropriate way to start this blog is with an embarrassing story. It's good to know that I can easily make a fool of myself. Mind you, I had just endured a 10 and a half hour flight watching a horrid Jennifer Lopez movie with commentary from a screaming baby. Unfortunately for me and surrounding company, the screaming baby continued for just about the whole flight, but at least he wasn't ruining any good movies. But enough of that, on to my short story.

After a quick shuttle ride, I arrived at the Holiday Inn Tobu Narita and proceeded to check in. My room is on the 9th floor so I rode the elevator with an elderly Japanese couple. I decided I should try out some of my Japanese because numbers are easy right? Well, I ended up telling them that I wanted the 7th floor (nana instead of kyu). Of course I didn't want to embarrass myself, so I had no choice. I got off on the 7th floor and got back on a different elevator that took me up to the 9th floor.

So needless to say, I should have no trouble with directions... but thankfully as time goes on and enough mistakes are made, I'll get the hang of things. For now, I'm just thankful that I made it to my hotel, even though I forgot to exchange some money at the airport and I'm pretty much stuck until tomorrow morning. I think the time difference will serve me well here. As many of you know, I am not a morning person, but at this rate I should be waking up around 6:00 am no problem. Tomorrow, the plan is to get breakfast at the hotel since it's the only place I can currently buy stuff. Then, try to find the nearest post office without getting lost. Then, come back and check out of the hotel, take the shuttle back to the airport and hop on the bus to Yokohama to meet up with my program at 5:00 pm. For now, I'm going to relax in my Japanese style robe and watch some TV until I fall asleep.

I'm so excited for what God has in store for me during this trip. There's no way I should be feeling this normal when I'm in such a foreign territory so I definitely know that He is helping me stay calm. My prayer is that I will continue to seek God each and every day in everything I do. I am here for a reason and I know God will reveal that to me. I am very thankful to God and my parents for this opportunity and I'm going to make the most out of this trip!!

3 comments:

  1. awesome kevin! Send me an address when you can and maybe I can send you a postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevy,
    Tsurugaokahachimangu....what about Luckyicanstringlongletteredwordstosoundlikesomething.
    Oma thought that word was hilarious.
    love,
    Uncle steve.

    ReplyDelete