Monday, November 8, 2010

Typhoon Round 2

Right before the massive typhoon enveloped Yokohama, we managed to have a delightful trip to Enoshima and Kamakura. It was a beautiful day to visit Enoshima Island and tour Engakuji. The weather was so clear that I even caught my first glimpse of Mt. Fuji! My Japanese religion and society professor wanted to take us to visit these sites because of their religious and historical importance. Enoshima is a famous Shinto shrine while Engakuji is a Buddhist-Zen temple tucked away in the mountains of Kamakura. He wanted us to experience the difference between Japan's two major religions and learn about their coexistence and integration into Japanese culture.
I got photobombed
View from Enoshima Island
Engakuji
The monks' quarters
The next week was when the typhoon hit hard, and I thought the first typhoon was bad. Along with the typhoon also came some unexpected cold weather. Going to and coming from class was sort of like taking an air blown shower. I struggled to keep my umbrella from inverting, but then again, having it didn't really help, other than keeping my head dry. We had planned to head off to Yokohama that weekend to visit a famous aquarium, but the typhoon had other plans. All of the trains were shut down because of the heavy wind and rain. So instead, we enjoyed our day walking around in the comfort and shelter of the Tostuka station malls. We ate at my favorite shabu shabu restaurant and topped the day off with some Afternoon Tea.
Mmmmm Shabu Shabu
Afternoon Tea


1 comment:

  1. The monks quarters is my favorite picture! its so beautiful. It was good to talk to you today.

    ReplyDelete