Thursday, December 2, 2010

Familiar Faces in Foreign Places

So, it`s been about a month since I posted my last blog, but trust me, after reading my next few posts, hopefully you`ll be able to understand why. I`ve pretty much been swept up into Japan`s crazy and busy lifestyle. As it is, I feel like Japan is a very tired country because everyone is always on the go here. As soon as the Japanese people stop moving, they fall asleep. This we now have in common.

Now, many of you know that aside from Japan, Korea has been a top competitor for my interest. And from October 31st to November 4, I was blessed to have the opportunity to travel to Korea. First though, I want you to meet a very good friend of mine who has a very loving and welcoming family. Her name is Zoe and I am SO thankful to have her in my life.
Zoe and me (right after I got my haicut)

She and her family opened up their home and allowed me to stay with them during my trip to Korea. I know travelling alone can put a lot of pressure on the visited people, so I was very grateful to have had this opportunity. I spent 3 full jam-packed days in Korea, and I had such a great time, aside from getting terribly car sick on the bus to Yonsei on the first day. Here are a few of the things I was able to do:

Day 1:


Yonsei University: This is where Zoe is currently “studying abroad”. I say this with quotes because her family moved back to Korea when she entered UCSD, so she is staying with her family while she studies abroad for one year. I`m going to miss her when I go back to UCSD.

Yonsei University
Gyeongbokgung Palace: This is Korea`s imperial palace located in the heart of Seoul. After visiting the palace, Zoe`s family took me out for a delicious buffet with food from all over the world!
Emperor's throne room

Traditional Korean warrior attire
Palace garden
Day 2:

Gangnam: This is Korea`s high end fashion and shopping district. I had a lot of fun exploring all the shops and looking at Korea`s fashion. Quick note... Korea has THE best cafes. America needs to get on this.

Streets of Gangnam
Hongik University: This college is famous for its art department. The surrounding community is very lively, so I did some more exploring here as well. And again, of course I stopped at a cafe. This one was called “Thanks Nature Cafe” so naturally I had to eat here.

Sinchon: This is the city surrounding Yonsei University. One of my friends from back home, Ashlee, is teaching English at an elementary school near Incheon, which is about an hour away from Sinchon. This night, we met up in Sinchon and ate some delicioius soft tofu stew. I was so glad that I got to see her in Korea!
Shlee and me in Sinchon

Day 3:

I started the day off by sleeping in because the other mornings I woke up around 6 or 7 o`clock. I`m finding that traveling is quite rough on the sleep schedule because I don`t like wasting the day, especially when it starts getting dark around 4:30 in the afternoon. I met up with Zoe in Sinchon after her classes and we did some shopping AND ate some long desired Mexican food at Choi`s Tacos.

Suwon: After shopping in Sinchon, I headed over to Suwon, which is where another friend of mine, Amanda, from UCSD is teaching English at an elementary school. After meeting her at the station, we wandered the streets of Suwon, ate dinner and topped the night off with waffles at yet another cafe.
Amanda at me at her favorite cafe

To conclude this blog entry, I wish to thank Zoe and her family again for their hospitality. I never thought that I would have the chance to visit Korea, but God has truly blessed me with this opportunity. I am constantly reminded that God is watching out for me, and its reassuring to know that He`s calling the shots. After a sad goodbye to Zoe and her family, I returned “home” to Japan. And as a preview for my next few blogs, here`s what y`all have to look forward to: Kitano-san`s cooking school and picnic by the river, Ueno park, China Town, Ramen Museum, our Wedding themed party, church, Sakuragicho and Minatomirai21, Kyoto and Nara, adventures with Kelly Erbe, MISH Thanksgiving Dinner, Tsukiji Fish Market, Fujisawa Fireworks, Kawaguchiko/Mt. Fuji, and Fuji-Q Highland.

1 comment:



  1. do you want to study in abroad today or in the next intake. we are the best and top rated study abroad consultancies in india with good visa assurance.we help you in filing the f1 visa for you in very less time. we are also help you with information needed to apply for the college university.
    reputed overseas consultancy in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete